S.C. Johnson & Son, Inc. is one of the largest family-owned and family-managed companies in the United States and a leading manufacturer of home, personal care, and insect-control products. SC Johnson was founded in 1886 and sells its products in more than 100 countries.
HQ: Racine, Wisconsin
Estimated Revenue: 10.5B
Board Diversity: 3 women on the board, representing 33%
US Brand Portfolio
- Pledge Scrubbing Bubbles
- Method Products
Stated Values & the Metrics to Support
Given SC Johnson produces household products, most of their waste reduction is focused on plastic.
- 65% of current packaging is recyclable or reusable, goal of 100% in 2025
- 10 million kg (10,000 tonnes) of Post consumer recycled (PCR) plastic packaging in use making up 20% of each bottle, goal is to increase to 30 million kg (30,000 tonnes) by 2025
- Refill options for Pledge, Scrubbing Bubbles, Shout, Fantastik and Mr. Muscle
Reducing Carbon Emissions:
SC Johnson has demonstrated efforts in making their production more resource efficient
- 34% of the energy used in production is from renewable sources
- Zero waste: Since 2019 zero waste from manufacturing has been sent to the landfill. Ethically could not find information on how they are diverting this waste. It would be great to see that they are upcycling the majority of this waste instead of incinerating it.
SC Johnson has several initiatives with the mission of protecting and preserving the environment
- 90% of natural raw materials are from sustainably managed forests (including FSC, PEFC or other credible standards) or from recycled materials.
- Has conserved more than 100,000 acres of tropical forests (for context the Amazon is 1.6B acres)
- Replanted 3 million trees in the Amazon
- Conservation International
- Plastic Bank
- The New Plastics Economy
- Ocean Wise