In 2019 Amazon co-founded The Climate Pledge alongside Global Optimism, a commitment to net-zero carbon in 2040, that is, ten years before what the Paris agreement stated. To achieve this, all companies committed to the pledge must follow three main principles:
- To measure and report (themselves) greenhouse gas emissions regularly.
- To implement decarbonization strategies in line with the Paris agreement (as to how much that is uncertain).
- To neutralize the remaining emissions by any and all means possible until the achievement of net-zero annual carbon emissions by 2040.
While assuring that the sole implementing of this easy three-step plan will allow us to reach the Paris agreement’s targets as much as ten years early,The Climate Pledge has grown as much as 600% over the course of the last year alone, having as much as 322 signatories so far from some of the wealthiest companies in the world.
We have mapped The Climate Pledge to:
- Reducing Carbon Emissions
The Climate Pledge certifies:
- Suppliers & Manufacturers
Cost to get certified:
Since this is just a signatory, there is no cost associated with taking the pledge. Contributions and donations are welcome.
Do they perform audits on companies:
No. Signatories are asked to voluntarily measure and report their carbon emissions.
Standards listed on their website
Yes, standards can be found through the FAQ section and are pretty simple: following the three-step plan, measuring and reporting your emissions, being a company with over 20 employees.